Thursday, April 1, 2010

Kidding Date -6

We now have less than a week to the 150 day gestation date for Babette. She continues with her bright and chipper personality; I even saw her race down the hill yesterday, though I must say that it was not accompanied by her typical little mid-flight side kick.

I'm excited for her to be a mom. Although I love all of our girls, Babette is my special baby. Her personality is gentle, loving, and a little playful too. She makes me feel happy when I'm around her. I wonder if I bring something to her too? I'd like to think so.

The maternity kit is all ready to go and the VVDH put the audio monitor up in the barn. She spends her nights in the kidding pen which she loves - no sharing of the delicious orchard grass hay, and she's the only one pooping in the water bucket! Speaking of which, just how do these goats end up each morning with poops in the water? They have luxurious pens: large, fresh air coming through the grilled window, deep bedding completely cleaned every week, and fresh water morning and night. So, exactly how does one go about aiming for what seems like a very small target in a very large area? Lest you think that it may be due to crowding - ha - these pens were originally designed for a large draft horse and there are only four goats in there, including a short but stout pygmy! So go figure.... unless of course, they do it on purpose....

1 comment:

  1. I think it's because... just in case... you weren't going to give them fresh water 2X a day, they like to be Sure it will happen... ; )

    ReplyDelete