Wednesday, October 27, 2010

From Crowning to Flipping

Yesterday, I blithely proceeded to the dentist expecting to have the small piece of tooth that I cracked last week to be fully removed, while the remaineder of the tooth would be fitted with a crown. Oh, the best laid plans of mice and me....

Blithely is a terrible exaggeration. I actually don't mind the dentist as long as it doesn't involve any of those long-needled shots of novacaine (in truth - probably lidocaine.) Of course, removing part of a hanging on kind of tooth did require those horrible, horrible shots. I survived that portion rather well, for me anyway. The wee problem is that tooth cracked well below the gum line and both the dentist and I were sweating it out as my very, very healthy gums refused to let go. Need I mention how sore my mouth is today?

It got worse - because it was so far below the gum line a crown was out at this point so today I had to go see a periodontist. Me, the very healthy gum person! Anyway, one look at the x-rays, and he very firmly told me that there would be no crown lengthening procedure involved, too close to the point of the dual root connection (yes, there is a technical term for this, just don't expect me to remember it.) So, the tooth will be coming out.

Recommended procedure after extraction - an implant. No, no, no. Here I am getting ready to have my old mercury fillings removed, I'm not about to put in any additional metal objects into my body. Next option - a flipper. Yes, that's right, a flipper. (I love that word!) Just a simple little single tooth denture. Now I'll have something to play around with when I'm bored.

I can even do a little 'take that' kind of flip when I'm frustrated with someone. I think this has great potential.

1 comment:

  1. you have such a good outlook! hope it gets better and the pain receeds! <3

    ReplyDelete