Monday, November 1, 2010

Liquid Sunshine

My father was a research meteorologist. He worked for the USAF and then NOAA. I think rain was his favorite form of weather, especially with a rip-snorting thunderstorm.

You see, Dad was from Kansas where rains are few and far between in the summer months, the prarie grasses turn from green to brown very quickly, and there is lots and lots of dust. We didn't live in Kansas when I grew up, but his distinct dislike of the dry weather meant that pretty nearly everytime there was a summer rain, you would find my Dad sitting out on our covered back porch just watching the drops fall down, smoking his little cigars and drinking a martini (with a green olive - I loved those olives!)

Now if there was a thunderstorm rolling in he had me so convinced about how special they were that I'd pull up a chair and watch the entertainment, for hours sometimes, just watching and visiting. I still know the smell of a coming thunderstorm to this day.

Today it rained chickens, goats, and horses on the farm; it was a gully-whomper. Sadly, no thunderstorms but the rain was magnificent. Dad use to call it "liquid sunshine"; I think that was the Kansas boy talking.

3 comments:

  1. I love that! Liquid sunshine. I will have to tell my children about this. We say that my father is watering the plants. He used to love gardening. Thank you so much for your post. I would love for my kids to visit your farm. They absolutely adore animals as do I and my husband. Have a wonderful, joyous day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nobody could get anyone more excited about the weather than Poppop, I remember very well how how he would call it liquid sunshine, even remember the tone of his voice, thanks for the memory!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post! what a delight to read :)

    ReplyDelete