Monday, June 28, 2010

Little Things

I finally feel that now I am ready for little Miss Kicky-Feet to arrive (not that I have any say in the matter!) I had one more tiny project to make, one of those things that only a very small, sweet baby can use. First the little project had to be sewn. I made it in swiss flannel, a lovely light weight twill-woven cotton cloth, perfect for these warm summer days and cool nights. Then, the finish work began....

Little sleeves were smocked (I always love the way smocking acts as 'elastic', lovely gathering but lots of stretch!)

and the neckline was smocked in gradiated shades of lavender.
Buttons were added, a wash in lavender water, a good pressing, and now we have a pretty little day gown for an already loved little grandbaby.

I can, just barely, wait to meet her!

On a side note, when my VVDH knew I was going to be doing smocking and heard me lamenting about having to hand-gather all of those little marks on the fabric, he suggested I just go ahead and buy a pleater. And so I did, a Super Amanda Smocking Pleater! It works beautifully and is so well-made that I know I will be able to enjoy it for a long, long time. I probably would have done more smocking when my own girls were little, if I'd had this machine back then....

1 comment:

  1. so lovely! what a lucky little girl she will be to wear this! : )

    ReplyDelete